Let’s learn more about the EAC certification: what it is, in which countries it is mandatory, how to obtain it, which regulations have to be applied, what costs are involved. In a nutshell, everything you should know to export compliant products to Russia and the Eurasian area.
What the EAC certification is and in which countries it is required
The Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU) is composed of Russia, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan. The EAEU has introduced several regulations that discipline the EAC certification process for industrial and consumer products. The EAC mark must be affixed on any product in order for it to be distributed within the EAEU area. If you are a manufacturer willing to start a business in Russia or other neighboring countries, you shall request the EAC certificate of conformity.
The EAC mark is therefore a mandatory requirement – that is often included in the specifications of many supply contracts – to export products to Russia and other EAEU countries. The EAC certification is also mandatory to export to the CSI countries (Azerbaijan, Ukraine, Moldavia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan). The EAC mark is applied on products that passed all conformity tests in compliance with technical requirements that are mandatory for EAEU countries. Product conformity can be formalized either with a serial/batch certification or declaration.
The EAC mark has the same function as the CE mark, even though there are substantial differences in the certification process. The EAEU Technical Regulations partly draw inspiration from the European legislation, however there are substantial differences related to the field of application, technical documentation and conformity assessment procedures. Even custom inspection procedures are much more severe than those applied in the European Community; the same is true for procedures applied by Certification Bodies and laboratories in the issuing of certificates and registration of declarations of conformity. The EAC certification process is quite rigid and shall be therefore managed in Russian language.
Technical regulations are based on GOST standards and are intended to harmonize conformity requirements to European and international standards. EAC regulations replace and update the national laws of each member country while managing the Eurasian area at community level.
Did you find this helpful? Contact us for more information on our certification services or continue reading to learn more!
What EAC regulations are applicable and for which products
The most relevant EAC regulations for industrial products are listed below:
- CUTR 001/2011 on the safety of railway rolling stock
- CUTR 002/2011 on the safety of high-speed rail transport
- CUTR 003/2011 on the safety of the railway transport infrastructure
- CUTR 004/2011 on the safety of low voltage equipment
- CUTR 010/2011 on the safety of machinery and equipment
- CUTR 012/2011 on the safety of equipment for work in explosive atmospheres
- CUTR 016/2011 on the safety of vehicles running on gaseous fuel
- CUTR 017/2011 on the safety of light industrial products
- CUTR 019/2011 on the safety of personal protective equipment
- CUTR 020/2011 on the electromagnetic compatibility of technical means
- CUTR 032/2013 on the safety of equipment operating at excessive pressure
- CUTR 037/2016 on the restriction of the use of hazardous substances in electrical and electronic products
- CUTR 041/2017 on the safety of chemical products
- CUTR 043/2017 on requirements for fire safety and fire-fighting equipment
As for consumer products and other product categories, we must refer to the following regulations:
- CUTR 005/2011 on the safety of packaging
- CUTR 006/2011 on the safety of pyrotechnic products
- CUTR 007/2011 on the safety of products intended for children and adolescents
- CUTR 008/2011 on the safety of toys
- CUTR 009/2011 on the safety of perfumes and cosmetics
- CUTR 011/2011 on elevator safety
- CUTR 013/2011 Information on the requirements for automotive and aeronautical petrol, diesel and marine fuel, jet engine fuel and fuel oil
- CUTR 014/2011 on road safety
- CUTR 015/2011 on grain safety
- CUTR 018/2011 on the safety of wheeled vehicles
- CUTR 021/2011 on the safety of food products
- CUTR 022/2011 for food products in terms of labeling
- CUTR 023/2011 Technical regulations for fruit and vegetable juices
- CUTR 024/2011 Technical standards for petroleum products and fats
- CUTR 025/2011 on the safety of furnishing products
- CUTR 026/2011 on the safety of small ships
- CUTR 027/2011 on the safety of certain types of specialized food products, including therapeutic dietetic and preventive dietary nutrition
- CUTR 028/2011 on the safety of explosives and related products
- CUTR 029/2011 on safety requirements for food additives, flavorings and technological adjuvants
- CUTR 030/2011 on requirements for lubricants, oils and special fluids
- CUTR 031/2011 on the safety of agricultural and forestry tractors and their trailers
- CUTR 033/2011 on the safety of milk and dairy products
- CUTR 034/2011 on the safety of meat and meat-based products
- CUTR 035/2011 Technical regulation for tobacco products
- CUTR 036/2011 Requirements for liquefied petroleum gases to be used as fuel
- CUTR 038/2011 on the safety of attractions
- CUTR 039/2011 on the requirements for mineral fertilizers
- CUTR 040/2011 on the safety of fish and fish products
- CUTR 042/2011 on the safety of playground equipment for children
- CUTR 044/2011 on the safety of packaged drinking water, including natural mineral water
- CUTR 045/2011 on the safety of oil prepared for transport and (or) use
- CUTR 046/2011 on the safety of combustible natural gas prepared for transport and (or) use
- CUTR 047/2011 on the safety of alcoholic products
The EAC Certification Process
The EAC certification for Russia (or CIS and Eurasian countries) is a process that involves several steps:
- Identification of the regulations and technical standards applicable to the product according to customs codes by analyzing the field of application of a certain regulation
- Choice of the certification scheme and evaluation of products to be certified by means of batches or serial production and in compliance with relevant requirements
- Identification and appointment of the authorized representative required by law, which officially represents the manufacturer within the Eurasian territory and can be a company branch in the territory or a third company with a specific agreement.
- Choice of the Certification Body. This is a key step to be dealt with accuracy: it is essential to verify the competences of the certification center and whether it is flexible and reliable.
- Conformity assessment, safety analysis and drafting of the Justification of Safety – i.e. product safety report in accordance with GOST 33855-2016 – which includes all relevant information on product safety and compliance
- Issueing of operating instructions, i.e. the manual (in Russian) in accordance with the requirements of the GOST 2610 standards and applicable technical regulations. Please note that certification centers carry out thorough checks in this regard.
- Preparation of the technical passport, i.e. a specific document required by the regulations related to the product and its design and testing.
- Creation of the technical dossier to be shared with the Certification Body, which includes all documentation related to the product. It must be redacted in Russian.
- Sharing the documentation with the Certification Body, and joint review. It is recommended to review all documents with the help of an expert in order to solve any problems and manage additional requests from the Certification Center.
- Conducting audits and/or tests – if requested by the Certification Center – that are defined by the technical regulations in order to validate the product according to the type of certification requested (either serial or batch).
If the outcome of the verification is positive, the Certification Body shall ensure the registration of the declarations or certificates of conformity in the official registers. Otherwise it will be still possible to repeat the conformity tests in order to obtain the EAC certification for Russia.
Who issues the EAC Certification and what costs are involved
CUTR certificates are issued by certification centers or national authorities (where required). Timing for obtaining the EAC certification can vary depending on the complexity of the product or any potential changes to be made to the product design. Costs also vary according to the complexity of the product.
Our team of specialists supports companies with the EAC certification scheme by optimizing costs and time. Our in-house native Russian technicians ensure a more effective communication with Russian bodies. As specialists in the certification of industrial products, we guide manufacturers and main contractors from the beginning of the project, including the offer phase, the choice of the Certification Body and supply of an authorized representative to the Customs Union, up to the total completion of the certification, which also includes the translation of documents into Russian and final discussion with the Certification Body. Thanks to our extensive expertise we are able to integrate (or create) instruction manuals for product use and maintenance, technical passports, risk analysis and product safety reports.
EAC is not the only possible certification scheme for Russia and other Eurasian countries. Other types of certification – voluntary or mandatory – have recently entered into force. We are talking about Intergazcert, the Russian Maritime Register of Shipping (RMRS) and FSTEC. Read the full article to learn more.
What some of our customers say about us
“We hereby certify that H-ON Consulting has been a supplier for our company proving support for EAC Certification of windshields, according to CU TR 001/2001. The supplier has been distinguished by the professionalism of the management …” – Saint Gobain – Download file
“With this letter we confirm that H-ON Consulting has been consulting our company in the field of O&G with the aim to obtain EAC and UL certifications. We have found their level of technical know-how, proactivity and availability unmatched. ” – CCS a Frigel Group Company – Download file
Did you find this helpful? For further information about our EAC certification service
orGo back to the blog